Bong Joon Ho Says Upcoming Animation Is “A Very Wild & Tough Job”

Bong Joon Ho Says Upcoming Animation Is “A Very Wild & Tough Job”


Korean director Bong Joon Ho, who is the president of the jury at Marrakech this year, reveals he has been getting up early while at the festival to keep his long-awaited untitled animation feature, slated for a 2027 release, on track.

“I’m in the middle of a crazy animation production. It’s very wild and tough job. Even this morning I worked in my hotel room. It’s very hard work,” he said.

“It’s a very unique, funny relationship between the human race and little creatures that live in the deep sea,” he said when pressed for more details, confirming an already announced storyline.

Joon Ho is joined in the jury by Celine Song, Anya Taylor-Joy, Jenna Ortega, Karim Aïnouz, Hakim Belabbes, Julia Ducournau and Payman Maadi.

Together they will decide the winner of the festival’s Golden Star (Etoile d’Or) from 14 first and second-time films.

Asked if the emerging filmmakers in competition faced more challenges than he did early on his career, Joon Ho suggested AI could provoke a crisis in cinema, but that this was not necessarily a bad thing.

“I think there was always a crisis, always a challenge in cinema,” he said, via his interpreter.

“Maybe with AI, the crisis will be even bigger, but actually the more crisis you feel, the more cinematic energy and greater aesthetics are obtained, so actually it could be more exciting and interesting to have a crisis in cinema.”

Earlier on Saturday, Joon Ho revealed his antipathy for AI saying he would love to create a military squad with a mission to destroy AI.



Source link

Posted in

Nathan Pine

I focus on highlighting the latest in business and entrepreneurship. I enjoy bringing fresh perspectives to the table and sharing stories that inspire growth and innovation.

Leave a Comment